What is Stroke?
Stroke and paralysis, which occur as a result of this, are caused by the brain vessel blockage or brain hemorrhage. In the patients with stroke, some irrecoverable damages may occur as a result of the brain circulation impairment. If this situation which threatens life and causes the losses in daily activities is cured rapidly, some various body function losses caused by the brain damage and paralysis can be prevented. While approximately 70% of the stroke patients are above the age 65, 30% of them are consisted of the younger persons.
What are the causes of stroke?
Like all of the organs, brain also needs the oxygen and nutrients provided by blood to operate properly. If the blood flow is restricted or ceased, the brain cells start to die. This may cause brain damage, disability and probably, death. There are 2 main reasons of stroke.
Ischemic stroke: This is the blockage of the vessel which nurtures the brain because of vessel stiffness or blood clot and cease of the blood flow. 85% of all stroke cases are ischemic.
Hemorrhagic stroke: Named as brain hemorrhage, this situation occurs as a result of a rupture and bleeding of a weak vessel which nurtures the brain.
What are the symptoms of stroke?
The damage in the brain caused by stroke reveals different characteristics according to the location and size. The symptoms of paralysis according to the affected area in the brain are:
- Weakness in face muscles, asymmetrical smile, looseness on the margin of eye and mouth
- Weakness or numbness in arm and leg,
- Speech disturbance,
- Difficulty in understanding the sayings,
- Loss of consciousness
How Long Does The Rehabilitation Of Stroke Take?
The comprehensive physical therapy duration of stroke rehabilitation is 8 weeks in average. This duration may be longer or shorter according to the situation of the patients. Besides the treatments like Robotic physical therapy, exercises, Ergotherapy –Occupational therapy, physiotherapy and balance training, the general health condition of the patient is continuously tracked by the specialist doctors of the relevant branches.
At the moment when the symptoms of stroke appear, the nearest comprehensive health institution should be consulted. A specialist doctor may recommend a rapid tomography or diffusion-weighted MR (MRI) to be taken after the examination. When the diagnosis of stroke is made, the treatment process begins. The patients may be hospitalized at the intensive care, neurology or brain surgery departments according to the cause and severity of the stroke. In this process, medical or interventional treatments are applied. The cause of the stroke is accurately detected and the needed drug therapies are started to prevent the repetition.
After this process, the physical therapy and rehabilitation are started as inpatient or ambulatory. The physical therapy and rehabilitation applications in the stroke treatment may be defined as neuro-rehabilitation applications.
Robot - Assisted Therapy in Stroke Rehabilitation
At Memorial Şişli Hospital Robotic Rehabilitation Center, there are globally up to date technological methods for ensuring the hand and arm capabilities together with robotic early walking, which diminishes the healing duration of the patient alongside the conventional rehabilitation patterns and this contributes the ability of the patient to reach a healthy life earlier. The comprehensive rehabilitation methods may be ensured by the combination of various factors like physiotherapy, ergotherapy, robotic rehabilitation, speech therapy, swallow therapy and psychosocial support.
- Physiotherapy: The exercises to prevent the movement loss, enhance the muscle strength, balance in sitting, standing afoot and walking are applied under this category.
- Ergotherapy, Occupational Therapy: Specific exercises to accelerate the return to the daily life activities are made.
- Robotic Physical Therapy: Robotic physical therapy devices supported by computer are benefited.
- Physical Therapy: Electric stimulation applications are performed to prevent muscle atrophy.
- Respiratory Therapy: These are the exercises to strengthen the respiratory muscles and develop lung capacity are made.
- Swallow therapy: Applied in case of swallowing difficulties.
- Speech Therapy: Applied in case of speech difficulties.
- Supportive Device Usage: Some devices to prevent joint stiffness and enable walking can be applied on hand and foot (orthosis).
Following the first days, the patient should be taken a comprehensive physical therapy program after the life-threatening danger has been averted. The examination and a treatment program according to the needs of the patient are initiated by a Physical Thearpy and Rehabilitation specialist. Thus, many patients can be regained to the society and family life with comprehensive physical therapy applications.